Saturday, February 2, 2008

London's Run

This was after the race when we were all nice and sweaty! My hair looks like a boy when it's all slicked back in my ponytail :)

It was such a beautiful day! The weather was perfect! There were so many people here. And for such a good cause, why wouldn't they be?

Today I participated in London's Run in Queen Creek. London's Run benefits the Phoenix Children's Hospital Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders. It is held in honor of London Solomon, a courageous six year old who lost the fight against Leukemia in 2005. Today's event helped out Troy Wendt, a two year old undergoing treatment for leukemia and Tucker McElhaney who was diagnosed with lymphoma.

Thanks to Kenyon for doing a wonderful job promoting this to her friends and getting us all motivated!! I'm not in enough shape YET to do the 10K, so I went for the 2 mile fun run. I didn't finish first, I didn't finish last, but I FINISHED!!!! My time was 25 minutes. This has inspired me to try for a bigger challenge next year!

After the races were through we had a nice BBQ lunch and then I decided to donate blood. Rather than doing the regular way, I donated whole red cells so they drew blood for a full 30 minutes. I was in the blood van for over an hour total. I felt a little dizzy in the middle of it all, and was beat after that. But it was worth it knowing that my blood can help somebody who needs it!

All in all, today was a great day!

6 comments:

Priceless Heritage said...

Great job Shannon! I really wanted to run but never got to "training" next year I'm in! I totally looked for you- we got there about 9am. I saw your name at the silent auction(did you win?) but couldn't find you- maybe cause you were being such a GREAT person and giving blood.

barbafamily said...

YEAH! I'm so glad we got to hang out yesterday too! London's Run was a blast and, yes, we will do the 5K next year! You're a sweetie and I wish you the best of luck on your goal!!!

Kenyon said...

Good for you Shannon! You can TOTALLY do the 5k, I promise. You are such a great person, and I am so grateful to people like you that support important causes...your awesome!

Heather Weir said...

I'm so sad I missed such an awesome event. Next year I shouldn't be ready to have a baby and can participate! I'm glad you posted about the run. I really wish I could have gone!
Congrats on the fun run. Its the thought that counts.

Linae said...

Go Shannon! I am so proud of you! What an amazing experience, I'm sad I wasn't there to share it with you, but I'm thankful for the post, I can only imagine how great it felt to be there. I can't wait to do a 5k with you, I know you can do it, this is just one step closer! Love ya, and thanks for the sweet comments, I'm so glad you are a blogger now!! P.S. cute template!!!!!!

Erika Amezquita said...

Man this looked like a lot of fun!